To be a translator requires much more than knowing two different languages, and translating word by word from one into the other one. After 15 years of experience as a translator, I have come to gain my personal work flow which easily adapts to every client’s special requirements as well:
- Assessing the project versus the deadline and client’s requirements in order to confirm feasibility in due time.
- Skimming and scanning through the text to gain familiarity and a big picture on the context.
- Translating the text keeping in mind any special requirements (terminology, translation memories, termbases, special UI instructions, etc.). Where necessary, asking for clarification.
- Proofreading the text, making sure there is a unified use of terminology, and tone throughout the entire document.
- Spell check.
- Quality check (grammar, pagination, use of tags, etc.)
- Delivery of the project on time.
- Promptly responding to any follow-ups with preferential changes from the client.